Saturday 4 September 2010

Ashley's story chapter 19

Part 19
1/1/88

Rolling over in bed, Ashley knew she was in a strange place. It just didn’t feel right. She slowly opened her eyes and at first, didn’t recognize where she was. She rolled over on her stomach. When she saw all the mirrors she was mortified. She looked over to her right, and then realized she was alone, fully dressed on top of the covers on Richie’s bed. She dropped her head back down on the pillow and groaned, wondering how in the hell she had got there.

Her head was pounding, her ears were ringing and she felt hot all over. She ran her right hand to her forehead as if she could somehow stop the pain. She pulled her left arm up over her face to look at her watch.

“Shit,” she said seeing it was 4:09 PM.

She stared up at herself in the mirrors over the bed and sighed at the sight. It took all she had to pull herself up and sit on the edge of the bed. She turned and looked at her reflection in the mirror on the wall and her hair was messy and her make up was smeared. She could only imagine just what she did last night. She tried to remember, but there was too much fog inside her head.

She stood up and slowly walked into the bathroom. She rinsed her face off and used the towel that was folded on the sink to dry it off. She wiped the mascara from under her eyes and ran her fingers through her hair. She looked like she hadn’t even been to sleep; her eyes were blood shot and were burning. She looked down at her clothes ready to get out of them after having slept in them. Or did she? It worried her that she couldn’t remember what happened after she and Richie kissed at midnight.

She felt like crying. She knew she needed to get out of there as soon as possible. She left the bathroom looking for her purse; she knew she had brought it. She found it in the private sitting room off the bedroom and then she remembered putting it down there when Richie was giving her the tour of his house. She picked it up and headed out of the room, quietly going downstairs.

Richie was inside his office, listening to some demos with his headphones on. He saw her walk past the door. He smiled and got up, quietly following her down to the kitchen. He watched as she seemed to be looking for something.

“Good morning sleeping beauty,” he said softly.

She jumped and spun around. “Don’t do that to me!”

He smiled. “Do what? Catch you trying to sneak out of my house without telling me goodbye?”

She shook her head, embarrassed that he knew what she was doing. “No, I was…well, I was…looking for a phonebook.”

Still with a smile on his face he said, “Are you ashamed of what you did last night?”

She narrowed her eyes. “What are you talking about?”

“I found you on my bed. Were you waiting for me?” He said stepping closer to her.

She stepped away laughing. “Actually, I don’t remember anything after we kissed.”

"At least you remember the important stuff," He chuckled.

“So we didn't have sex?"

"You were fully clothed weren’t you?" he said as he picked up the freshly brewed coffee he happened to make a little while earlier.

Relieved, she smiled. “Do you have a phone book?” I need to call for a cab so I can go home.”

Richie handed her a cup of coffee. “Here drink this you’ll feel better and then I’ll take you home.”

“It’s an hour away; I’ll just call for a cab,” she insisted.

“No…” he said firmly. “I’ll take you home.” His eyes twinkled as he gave her a timid smile. “I’ll even drive the Ferrari, since it’s your favorite.”

She laughed. “Oh, yeah. The Ferrari.”

Richie handed her the cream and sugar, and she proceeded to add them to her cup as she sat down on the bar stool at the breakfast bar. Richie was standing across the counter and when he laughed she looked up at him.

“What’s so funny?” She asked.

He shook his head. “You really don’t remember?”

She felt all the color drain from her face, scared to even ask what he could be talking about what she should remember. She suddenly recognized that she had a drinking problem when it came to where Richie was concerned. “What did I do?”

Richie shrugged his shoulders and leaned across the bar looking directly into her eyes. “I don’t know. You disappeared after we kissed. I found you passed out on my bed later.”

She blushed and shook her head as she stirred the spoon in her cup. “I thought you were going to tell me I did something I would regret.”

“And just what would that have been?” He asked.

She bit her bottom lip and flashed her eyes up at him with a quick glance. She couldn’t stop the small smile that came across her lips. Richie snickered and shook his head.

After Ashley took a sip from her coffee cup she asked shyly, “What did you do after I passed out?”

“Well, after you did your magic disappearing act, I went looking for you and found you on my bed asleep. I locked you in my room and then had to fight off Saranda and the slut sisters when they noticed you were no where around.”

Ashley laughed so hard it made her head hurt. She ran her hand over her forehead and laughed softer. “And who won?”

“I did.”

She picked up her coffee and grinned to herself.

Richie smiled and stood upright. “Hungry? I make a helluva omelet.”

After she took a sip from her cup she said, “No, Richie I need to go home.”

“Why?” He asked slightly irritated. “Got a date or something?”

She laughed at the cuteness of his jealously. “No, nothing like that. A shower and a change of clothes would make me feel better.”

“You look fine to me. I like that outfit,” he said eyeing her cleavage.

She moved the arm that was resting on the counter and crossed it over her chest and smiled. “Well, I think you’ve had enough of it.”

He gave her a pout. “If you say so.”

She continued drinking her coffee with her arm over her chest. Richie smiled looking at her, thinking she was still irresistible no matter what she did. “So, can I take you home?”

Ashley’s insides trembled and she felt nervous when she nodded her head.

Richie grinned. “Okay, let me get my keys.”

She glanced up at him and he gave her a wink. He couldn’t resist on more try. “Unless I could talk you into taking a shower here.”

She looked up at him and rolled her eyes. “That’s not a good idea.”

He tapped his hands on the counter and turned away. “Okay. I’ll be ready to leave when you finish your coffee.”

He left the kitchen, his footsteps heavy going up the staircase. She wanted more then anything to stay there, but she knew that wasn’t in her best interest. She was trying to break that cycle and not get into something she couldn’t handle and that meant getting involved with him again. She still had feelings for him she thought were long gone.

He returned with his leather jacket and shoes on, dangling the keys in his hands. She finished her coffee and stood up when she saw Richie had her coat.

“I’m ready,” she said.

Richie smiled. “Let me help you.” He then helped her with the coat and slid it up to her shoulders when she had her arms inside the sleeves.

She turned to thank him and their eyes met. The look on his face made her dizzy.

“Thanks,” she said softly.

On the way home, Ashley rested her head back against the seat. She and Richie didn’t talk much both feeling suddenly uncomfortable with each other. He was trying hard to read her while she was trying to keep her distance from him. She remembered their kiss and her heart started to beat wildly inside her chest. It was just supposed to be a harmless New Year kiss, but why did it make her feel crazy?

When they pulled up at her apartment building, Ashley showed him where to park. He turned the engine off and silence filled the inside of the car.

“Thanks for bringing me home,” she said softly trying to hide the fact she was nervous. She looked over at him and smiled.

He winked and nodded. “No problem.”

“Do you have time to come up for a little while? I’ll show you my apartment.” She asked nervously and held her breath to wait for the answer.

He gave her a warm smile and nodded. “Sure, I’d like that.”

They both got out of the car and Richie locked the doors, putting the keys in his jacket pocket. Coming to the front door, he opened it for her and let her go in first.

Inside the building she led him to the elevator and pushed the button. They rode up to the twenty third floor in uncomfortable silence; each battling with their own demons. Richie had this overwhelming urge to take her in his arms and kiss her passionately, but knew that wouldn’t be the right thing to do. Ashley was fighting her own urges, determined to prove to herself that she was strong. When the door opened she stepped out quickly. Being that close to him was too much to handle.

“You must have an amazing view,” Richie said from behind her as he waited for her to unlock the door.

She smiled as she fumbled for her key. “Especially at night.”

She finally found the key and got the door open. It was getting dark outside, so she had to flip the overhead light on just inside the door. She took off her coat and hung it up inside the closet at the door.

“You want me to hang your coat up?” She asked him.

Richie perceived that as she expected him to stay awhile. Suddenly he felt a little better about the situation and saw a glimmer of hope. He took off his jacket and handed it to her. While she was hanging it up he walked to into the living room and looked around at her apartment.

When she joined him, he heard her footsteps on the wood floor and turned around with a smile that made her have to catch her breath.

“It’s totally you,” he said grinning.

She laughed, “Is that good or bad?”

He shook his head. “No, it’s good.”

His statement caught her off guard. She never gave much thought that he actually knew what she liked. That made her wonder if he knew more about her then she ever thought he did.

“The bedroom and bathroom is upstairs.” She said pointing overhead to the loft. “It’s not as nice as yours but I like it.”

He laughed and she added, “That’s my tour. Not as extravagant as yours.”

They both laughed. Richie glanced at the flowers that were sitting on the coffee table. He knew they were the ones he had sent to her.

“Are those from your boyfriend?” He asked casually.

Ashley shook her head. “No.” She smiled. “He’s just this guy.”

When their eyes met Richie said, “Just this guy, ugh?”

Ashley looked away from him as her arms folded around her waist. She shook her head with a slight laugh of indecision. “He’s not just a guy,” she answered.

“Oh, so you must like him then?” He pressed harder and almost taking a step toward her.

Ashley’s eyes winced as she fought for the words. Her voice was unsteady as she spoke. “He’s someone I can’t forget as easy as I would like to.”

Richie had a knowing smile on his face as her words moved him towards her. He gently placed his arms around her.

'”You want to forget him?" He asked her when she looked up at him.

Her head was now spinning and she felt like she was ready to cave.

“I…I don’t know what I want.” Her voice was soft, like a scared child’s.

"I can tell you this much,” he said searching her eyes. He pulled her close against him, her eyes widened and he could see the tears forming. “He can't forget you," he said softly.

Her eyes closed as she took in a sharp breath when she pushed him away. “Richie please,” her voice cracked.

“Ashley please listen to me,” he said taking her face in his hands.

She didn’t want to look at him, but found it impossible not to. He looked straight into her eyes, his eyes demanding that she listen to him. “I’m in love with you, you have to believe me.”

Her whole body started to tremble, but he continued. “I have a lot to say to you and I need you to listen to me.”

She shook her head. “I can’t.”

His expression darkened. “Can’t or won’t?”

She licked her dry lips. “Please stop,” she whispered.

He shook his head. “Look at me and tell me you don’t love me.”

Ashley began to cry. She knew that would be impossible to do. She did still love him.

“Too much as happened,” she told him.

Richie shook his head again. “And so much more can happen if you would just listen to me.”

She closed her eyes to try to regain control of her emotions. So many different thoughts were running around in her mind, she couldn’t think straight. When Richie pulled her to him, her weight fell against him and he held her in silence.

Having her there in his arms, felt so good. He closed his eyes to savor the feel knowing it could be the last time. He kissed the top of her head so softly, she didn’t feel it. She had buried her face in his chest, his smell consuming her like it always did. It felt so good to have his arms around her and to hear him tell her that he did love her was so overwhelming. But was he telling her the truth?

She pulled away after what seemed like a long time. She looked up at him. “Do you want something to drink?”
Richie shook his head and smiled. “I only want you.”

She laughed. “I need something to drink.”

He smiled as she turned and went to the kitchen. He watched as she got a glass from the cabinet, sat it on the counter and then opened the refrigerator door to get the bottle of cranberry juice. She poured some in the glass and turn placed the container back inside and closed the door. When she turned around she was surprised that Richie was staring at her. She smiled nervously and crossed the kitchen into the living room. She stopped at the couch and sat down. She took a drink from her glass and then sat it on the coffee table.

“You can come sit by me, if you’d like.” She told him.

Richie laughed softly and then walked over and sat down close beside her. He knew what he wanted to say, but now that he had the chance his mind was blank. Just being with her made him forget everything.

They sat that way for a few minutes. Ashley was waiting to hear what he had to say and Richie was trying to remember how he memorized it. She finally took his hand in hers.

“I thought you had something to tell me?” She asked.

Richie chuckled. “I do.” He kissed her hand. “I just can’t remember how it all went.”

Ashley frowned, and Richie had to explain.

“I’m nervous,” he said softly as he looked down at her hand that he was caressing.

Ashley giggled inside. “You…nervous?”

Richie felt his face get red and he looked up at her and laughed. “Yeah, believe it or not.”

He took a deep breath and sighed, still caressing her hand that he held in his. “I want to start from the beginning.”

He waited for her response, a nod and then he continued. “There was something about you that captivated me. I’m going to be honest and tell you that yes, I only wanted one thing and that to be your first lover.”

Ashley’s face expression didn’t change so again he continued, never taking his eyes away from hers.

“I thought that’s all I wanted and when I started having these jealous feelings, it pissed me off. It also pissed me off that a jealous fit took us to Mexico. However, in Mexico things started to change. That first night, you made me feel things I never knew were inside me. It scared the hell out of me and I didn’t deal with it like I should have. I’m sorry that I hurt you the way I did. I didn’t lie to you when I told you that I loved you. I just wasn’t ready to love you the way you wanted me to.”

He stopped and smiled at her, then reached to tuck her hair behind one ear. The look on her face was one of uncertainty, but he continued anyway. “You are the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

Ashley’s laugh interrupted him. “No, I’m serious,” he told her. “When you left me, you took part of me with you. I tried like hell to get over you and I thought I had until I saw you walk into that bar with Doc. I felt like something flew up and hit me in the face.”

Ashley bit her bottom lip, tears forming in her eyes she took a deep breath. This was everything she wanted to hear him say, but…

“Please say something,” Richie said.

She laughed. “I’m sorry.” She blinked back her tears. “It’s just when something you have wanted for a long time is finally in front of you, it’s hard to believe.”

“So does that mean you want me?” He asked her.

She giggled. “I’m not going to answer that just yet.”

Richie shrugged. “I don’t blame you.” He cleared his throat. “I also don’t blame you if don’t want to go there again. I was a jerk.”

“No,” she said shaking her head. “You were more then a jerk.”

Richie laughed and she laughed with him. After a few seconds Ashley reached up and touched his face, her forefinger trailed down his jaw and then down to his bottom lip.

“Tell me what you want,” she said.

“I want to spend the rest of my life making up for what I have done to you.”

She shook her head and laughed. “Besides that.”

“Well, for starters…this.” He lowered his lips to hers and kissed her softly. He placed soft kisses on her lips and then slowly started to kiss her passionately. She welcomed his lips by wrapping one arm around his neck, her other hand placed firmly on his cheek.

Minutes later she pulled away. “That’s a good start.”

Richie gave her another quick kiss then hugged her.

“What do you want?” He asked.

Ashley’s mind went blank. What did she want? She shrugged to stall for time, she bit her lip. “I’m not sure, really.” She looked at him. “I want to take things slow, just to see what happens. I can’t make you any promises. As I said, a lot has happened.”

Richie nodded, understanding what she meant. Still he had another question. “Is there anyone else that might get in my way?”

Ashley nodded. “Doc.”

He laughed. “No I mean…” He paused. He shook his head and laughed. “Jason,” he finally said as he rolled his eyes.

“No, Jason and I are over. My choice, not his,” she told him.

Upon reading Richie’s face, Ashley could tell that he was bothered by the fact that she and Jason were together.

“Richie, I had to move on. Or, at least try to. You were with other girls,” she reasoned.

“Yeah, I know but this is Jason.”

“Why are you so hung up on him?”

He shrugged. “I guess cause I saw the way he looked at you and they way you reacted to him.”

Ashley shook her head. “If it makes you feel any better, it just wouldn’t work out between he and I anyway.”

“And why is that?”

Ashley smiled and laid her hand on his thigh as she looked up into his eyes. “Because he’s not you.”

Richie smiled. That made him feel a little better, but still he knew he knew too much already.

“Is that the only reason you are here?” She asked him.

Richie turned to look at her. “What do you mean?”

“Your jealously obsession with Jason. That’s the only reason you are here with me because you think I’m with him now.”

Richie took her hand. “No, it’s not. I’m here because I want us to be together, they way we should have been since Mexico.”

She wasn’t so sure she could believe him. “Time will tell I guess.”

“Yes, time and…well…me. You’ll see, I promise you won’t be disappointed,” he reassured her.

She smiled and laid her head down on his chest and he responded by putting both of his arms around her.

“Ashley, I’m sorry for what I’ve done to you. I know I hurt you and I know I didn’t treat you the way I should have treated you.” He whispered in her ear.

She placed one arm around him and then placed a hand over his mouth. “Just hold me,” she said.

He nibbled on her hand and they both laughed as she removed it. He held her close, closing his eyes he felt as complete as he did when he had her all those months ago. He could literally feel the smile on her face and that made him smile.

As happy as she was, Ashley still had anxieties. There were things she needed to know, things she needed to be sure of.

She sat up and smiled. “Are you in a hurry to leave?”

Richie shook his head and she smiled.

“I need to go take a shower,” she said.

He hugged her again and laughed softly. “Well, I could take a shower with you, but I know that’s not what you really want right now.”

'You never stop do you?" She asked in an amused tone.

"Can you blame me when you’re involved?" He answered nibbling on her earlobe.

She shook her head and sighed. "Can I trust you to behave and watch TV?"

“Yes, you can trust me. I promise.”

She pulled away from him and looked at him rather doubtfully.

"Want to tie me to a chair?" He joked.

"Do I have to?" She laughed softly.

"No Darlin', you go take your shower I'll wait out here for you."

She kissed him once again and as she walked away he couldn't resist adding, "call me if you change your mind."

She turned to him as she was halfway up the steps and grinned as she shook her head. He laughed and watched her disappear into the loft and then turned the TV on using the remote laying on the table.

Thirty minutes later, Ashley came down the steps in black sweats and a light pink sweatshirt that fell off of one shoulder. Her hair had been towel dried and her face was still glowing from the steam of the hot shower. She sat down beside him on the couch as she reached for the phone book on the end table under the phone. She folded her legs and opened it up.

“Are you hungry?” She asked him as he flipped through the yellow pages.

He placed one hand lovingly at the back of her head. “I could eat something, sure.”

“Do you like Chinese?” She asked looked at him.

"I like everything that pertains to food," he laughed.

“Oh that’s right. You’re easy to please.” She thought about what she said and looked up and him and he was grinning from ear to ear. “We ARE talking about food Richie.”

“I didn’t say anything.”

She laughed and picked up the phone to place an order. “Anything particular?”

“Whatever you want, as you say I’m easy to please.”

After she placed the order, she hung up the phone and set it along with the phone book back on the end table. She then cuddled up next to Richie and laid her head down on his shoulder as his arm was around her.

She sighed, placing her hand on his chest and closed her eyes. “That’s one thing about living here. You can call for anything and they’ll bring it right to your door.”

“You’re spoiled already,” He said against her hair.

She titled her head up, looking into his eyes. He slowly brought his lips down to hers as he took her face in his hand. His lips lingered on hers, barely touching them as he kissed her sinuously. Taking his time, he deepened the kiss by allowing his tongue to move across her lips.

She moved, allowing her to kiss him fully. His other hand moved across her hair pulling it away from her face and pulling her lips closer to his, his tongue ran deeper into her mouth. Still continuing to kiss, she moved up into his lap and he cradled her in his arms. Kissing continued, taking their time enjoying each other until the intercom buzzer interrupted them.

“Foods here,” she giggled against his wet lips.

“I’m not hungry,” he said as he continued to kiss her.

Not wanting to stop, she kissed him back until the buzzer came again. She pulled away from him, prying his arms away from her waist and got up from the couch. She shook her head at the sight of him laying back against it looking up at her.

“I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere.”

Richie smiled and watched her go to the door. She pushed the intercom and let the delivery man inside. She turned back and smiled at him. He gave her a wink that made her smile wider. She quickly walked back over to the couch and leaned over, kissing him again until the knock came at the door.

When she pulled away to answer the door, he pulled her back and laid another kiss on her. She giggled and pulled away. She placed her finger on his lip and he licked it.

When she turned to go to the door he whistled at her and she shook her head as she opened the door. Richie got up and went to the door, paying for the food. Ashley took the bags in her hands as Richie closed the door.

“Do you mind if we eat this in front of the TV?” She asked him looking over her shoulder.

Richie shook his head and followed her to the couch where she sat the brown paper bags down. She pulled out each paper container and placed them on the coffee table.

“They gave us no napkins,” She mumbled.

“Where do you keep them?” Richie asked getting up from beside her.

“On the counter by the microwave.” She told him.

Richie nodded and went into the kitchen finding the roll of paper towels on an upright wooden holder. “Do you want the whole roll?” He called to her.

“Yeah, that’ll be good. Oh and something to drink. Please?” She said as she got up on her knees to look at him from over the top of the couch.

He smiled and nodded his head as he went for the refrigerator door. Opening it, he looked around. “What do you want? Dr. Pepper?”

“Yes, please and you get you one too,” She said.

He laughed, “That’s so kind of you. Thanks.”

He reached for two cans and closed the door. Returning to the living room, he sat down in the floor beside her, sitting the items on the table.

Ashley opened the chop sticks and held them up to him. “I’ve mastered the art.”

“How long did it take you?” He asked opening his own.

She tilted her head, thinking.” A long time actually. Christy and I decided one night that we would eat everything with chopsticks until we mastered it.” She laughed, “We starved to death the first two weeks.”

“Who’s Christy?” He asked taking a bite of fried rice.

“Oh, she’s a friend of mine, she’s a model too.”

“You have been friends for awhile then?”

Ashley nodded her head as she had her mouth full of food. She leaned back reaching for the end table drawer. She opened it and pulled out a photo album and sat it in the floor between them.

“We met at my first Victoria’s Secret shoot and have been friends ever since.”

After taking a bite of her food, she stuck the chopsticks into the container and opened the book with her free hand. The album was filled with some personal photos and some taken at shoots. She found a picture of them together and pointed to her. It was a promotional picture for advertising and included two other models.

“That’s Christy,” she said pointing to her.

Christy had long brown hair and a thin face with high cheekbones full lips and hazel eyes. Richie thought she was pretty but nothing compared to Ashley in his eyes.

“She’s pretty, but not as beautiful as you,” he said looking up at her.

“Oh, be honest. She’s beautiful.” She told him.

Richie shrugged, “Maybe she is, but no one can hold a candle to you in my eyes.”

She leaned over and kissed his closed lips and smiled, “You’re sweet.”

She closed the book and stuck it back where she got it. She turned and looked at Richie.

“I want to take things slow, you understand that right?”

“Whatever you want,” he told her.

She picked the carton of food back up and looked briefly down into the container. "Then can we do this the normal way? Go out on dates to the movies and things like that?"

He laughed, “I’ll take you anywhere you want to go. Anytime you want to go.”

She bit her bottom lip with worry. “I’m worried about Doc.”

“I know and I know he’s not going to be really happy about it,” Richie said.

“So, what? Tell him about the past? Tell him we are dating? What do you think?”

Richie shook his head as he thought it over. “Good question,” he said then took another bite of food.

“You do realize that’s all we are doing right?” She said looking his face over.

He shook his head, “I want to take things as slow as you do, Ashley. I’m not asking to sleep with you tonight.”

She laughed, “And if I asked you to, you wouldn’t turn it down.”

“Why hell no I wouldn’t. And I’m not going to stop looking at you in that way either.”

“Well, I’ll make sure to make you suffer then,” she giggled.

“I could like that,” he teased.

“I’m sure you will.”

They laughed some more and continued talking. When the phone rang Ashley leaned back and picked it up to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Finally, I get the real thing and not your answering machine,” Doc laughed.

“Doc?” She asked almost choking.

Richie looked at her and couldn’t help but laugh. “Great timing,” He said. Ashley covered the phone and told him to be quiet.

“I’ve been trying to reach you since yesterday. I guess you had a great birthday?” Doc asked her.

“Um….I did. I had fun,” She said keeping her eye on Richie as she spoke.

“So, what did you do? Where did you go?”

“I went to Richie’s house,” she said, her facial expression showing she was scared of his reply. She bit the inside of her cheek; dreading what his reply would be as she looked at Richie, her eyes wide.

"I'm assuming he had a New' Year's Party. I hope it didn't get out of hand I know how those boys can be." He laughed.

“Yes, he did have a party.” She said smiling at Richie. “It wasn’t all that wild, I stayed out of harms way.”

"Not that wild? I find that hard to believe. Are you expecting me to think you didn't do any drinking?" He gave a short laugh. "I wasn't born yesterday, you know."

“Actually, Richie taught me how to play poker, Jon bought me wine and I got very drunk. Is that wild enough?” She asked him.

Richie fell over laughing in the floor and she covered the phone so Doc wouldn’t hear him.

She could imagine Doc shaking his head on the other end of the line. "I knew it. Well, at least you were with someone safe if you had to get drunk. When did you get home? I tried earlier today and there was no answer. Were you sleeping it off?"

She bit her lip and kicked Richie’s foot. “I actually spend the night at Richie’s house and he brought me home today.”

Richie shook his head and continued to try to eat his face was read from the laughter he was trying to hold in.

"Oh," said Doc in a strangely quiet voice. "What are you doing now?"

Ashley blinked. “I am eating Chinese with Richie.”

Richie shook his head.

"He's there? I thought he just dropped you off." She could hear the questions Doc didn't ask in the tone of his voice.

“Well, it was late when I woke up and he offered to bring me home. I wanted to show him my apartment and I got hungry,” Ashley said shaking her head and rolling her eyes at Richie.

"I see the two of you have renewed your friendship. I thought things had cooled off there when you went over to Europe."

“Well, we’ve been catching up,” she said softly.

Richie’s mouth dropped open and a small giggle slipped from her lips.

“I’ll be in town in a few weeks. I’ll give you a call and let you know when.” Doc said, ignoring her giggle.

“I should be here unless I’m on a date or something,” She laughed.

Richie laughed silently and shook his head, taking a drink from his soda.

"Okay," Doc answered sure she was just giving him a hard time. "I have to go now. I'll talk to you soon, behave yourself."

“Always, Doc.”

They hung up the phone and Ashley looked at Richie. “He’ll be coming here in a few weeks.”

Richie sighed. “Good. I have enough time to figure out just how to handle him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment