Saturday 4 September 2010

Ashley's story chapter 20

Part 20
1/2/88

“Where have you been since your birthday? I’ve been trying to reach you!” Christy said to Ashley on the phone.

Ashley laughed, “I went to a New Years Eve Party.”

Christy frowned. “I thought you were staying home, what’s the deal?”

Ashley could hear the annoyed tone in her best friend’s voice. “I’ll have to tell you all about it, it’s a long story,” She said. “I’m sorry. I know you wanted me to go to Times Square with you.”

“Well, I have your gift and I would like to get it to you. If you have time.”

“I don’t have any plans. Let’s get together.”

“And go shopping? Did you say shopping?” Christy laughed.

Ashley rolled her eyes as she laughed at her friend’s passion for shopping. “Yes, we can go shopping.”

“Oh, and maybe dinner too and then just see where we end up.” Christy added.

“Uhhh, I know that tone.”

“Well, you owe me. Remember?”

“Okay, when do you want to do this?”

“How about tomorrow? Is that alright?”

“Perfect.” Ashley laughed.

“Okay, I’ll come by around noon.”

Ashley hung the phone up and got up to start her day. Nothing special planned, just relaxing and proofing new photos that Julie had dropped off earlier. First she wanted to take a shower. She went up the long set of steps that lead to her loft bedroom and went into the bathroom.

After Richie left last night he said he would call her, and she couldn’t help but wonder just when that would be. Yesterday had come to a surprise to her, but she was still excited at the same time. She knew that she had to be cautious with him. She didn’t want to go down that same road they had taken before. It worried her about telling Doc and everyone else. Before they hid what they were doing, so this would be all together different. She hoped she could handle it, their relationship and the ridicule that she knew would follow. Richie seemed confident that he would prove to her he had changed and deep down inside she believed he had. But, for sanity’s sake, she was going to still be as cautious as she could be. He could always get to her then. Now, she hoped she was stronger then she was before.

After she had her shower out of the way, she painted her toenails and then looked over the pictures she had to. These pictures were for her new portfolio that Julie wanted her to do as she was shooting for another direction with her career. Most of them, she didn’t like. She sorted them out, laying them across the floor as the phone rang again.

“Hello?” She asked.

“How are you?” He asked her.

She grinned. “I’m fine, how are you?”

“Well, to be honest. I feel wonderful.”

“Oh yeah?” She asked amused. “What’s the reason?”

“You.”

“Me? What did I do?” She asked grinning.

“Your giving me another chance.”

She blushed, her chest pounding from her heart beating so fast.

As if he knew how she was feeling, he went on to ask her what he’d been planning. "I was wondering if you're not busy maybe we could go out tomorrow night."

"I have plans with Christy for tomorrow night," She answered.

“Oh, okay.” She could hear the disappointment in his voice.

“Did you have something already planned?”

"No. I thought maybe we'd grab a pizza and see a movie. Just a simple date."

Her smile grew wider. "Maybe another night?" She suggested.

"When?" He pressed, wanting an answer now.

"I dunno. I'm not doing anything Wednesday."

"We can make it Wednesday then. Is a movie okay?" He sounded like a nervous teenager asking for his first date.

"Depends on the movie," she answered, loving the feeling of having him on the spot.

"As long as I am with you it doesn’t matter what we see."

Ashley grinned wickedly. If Richie was going to be so easy she’d take him to a chick flick. “Okay,” She laughed, “I’ll pick the movie then.”

“You can pick your favorite pizza parlor too; I want to take you where you want to go.” He said.

“Okay. Sounds like a great idea.”

He laughed, “So what are you doing?”

She sighed, “Sitting in the floor in my robe looking at a bunch of awful pictures of myself.”

“Oh Ashley, I don’t believe that one.”

“What? That I’m in a robe in my floor?”

He chucked, “No. That you are looking at awful pictures of yourself. There is no such thing.”

“Sure you say that now but if you actually saw them, I’m afraid that you would agree.”

“You actually get to pick out your own pictures?” He asked surprised.

“Well sometimes it depends on who you are working for,” She said as she examined another picture closely. “But this is for a new portfolio that Julie is putting together.”

“And Julie is?”

“She’s my manager, the one Doc hired.”

Richie nodded, “Ahhh, okay.

“So anyway…what are you up to today?”

He yawned, “Sitting here waiting on Jon to get done. I’m at the studio still.”

“Still? Meaning you haven’t been home yet?”

“Afraid not. Jon’s a son of a bitch when it comes to these demos,” he laughed.

“Richie, you left here last night going to the studio. You haven’t slept at all?”

“No Darlin, I haven’t.”

“Geesh, Jon is a slave driver,” She said dryly.

“Just wait ‘til we actually start recording.”

“Can you get away on Wednesday?” She asked him wondering if he had told Jon.

“I told Jon that I wanted to take you out this week. We are actually almost done, and he said I could take a few nights off. I already have tomorrow night off.”

“You told Jon?”

Richie smiled, “Yeah.”

“Well, what did he say?” She pressed.

“Let’s see, his actual words were, ‘It’s about fuckin time, you jerk.’”

Ashley giggled.

Hearing the click on the phone, Richie paid it no attention until he heard, “Oh, Lover Boy! “How do you call your Lover Boy?” Jon sang into the phone with a high feminine voice.

Richie could hear Ashley laughing on the other end and Jon had a few snickers. “Excuse me, I am trying to have a conversation here. Do you mind?”

“I need you to listen to something I added to this song. Hi Ashley.” Jon said.

Ashley giggled softly, “Hi Jon.”

“I’ll be there shortly Jon,” Richie said firmly.

“Okay, but don’t be too long. If you wanna go out and play with Ashley this week I need you NOW.” Jon laughed.

“Hey Jon, before you go, I think you should be aware that Richie’s had no sleep since New Year’s Eve.” Ashley said.

“OH, is this so? Just what have you two been doing that he’s had no sleep?” Jon asked with slight amusement in his voice.

“JON…” Richie said.

“That’s none of your business. You shouldn’t be such a jerk Jon. People need sleep ya know.” She said half joking and half serious.
"Hey I went home that night; if he didn't sleep it's not my fault." Jon tossed back jokingly.

“Well, he left my house last night going to the studio and you haven’t let him sleep. How can we play if he’s tired?” She said in her best soft sultry tone.

Richie sat quietly on the other end of the phone, enjoying how much shit Ashley could give Jon.

"Give him a quick shower, revive him and he can go for hours, or so I've been told." Jon smirked while staring in Richie's direction.

Ashley blushed, but was still able to keep her cool. “Hmmm…days more like it.” She said.

Richie had a hard time keeping composure hearing her comment. He spun in his chair and saw Jon sitting on the back of his through the glass partition. They both started laughing at the direction the conversation had turned.

She grinned hearing their reaction. “Still you wouldn’t want to damper our fun would you?”

Jon wiped the tears of laughter from his eyes and fought to control his laughter.

"Excuse me, is this the same Ashley McGhee who gave me hell that first day in the gym? I believe I was called a jerk then too."

“That Ashley was sweet and innocent, this one's experienced," She purred.

"Can't a guy have a little privacy?" Richie protested.

“I’m sorry, you’re right. Jon do what you need to do with him, and then give him back to me. I’ll nurse him back.” She said.

'Okay Rich, you heard what the little woman said, you're all mine now say goodbye." Jon laughed and hung up the phone.

Richie shook his head, “Um…where were we?” He laughed.

Ashley felt a rush in her chest and she smiled, “I’m looking forward to seeing you again.”

“Me too. Have fun with Christy and I’ll call you Wednesday afternoon.”

“Richie?” She said before he hung up.

“Yeah, Darlin?” He answered.

She smiled again. “Think about me, okay?”

“Always,” He answered.

After they hung up the phone Ashley fell back onto her carpet and smiled. He was starting to get to her, she just hoped she could hold out long enough to get her point across that she wasn’t taking any more shit.

Richie got up from his chair with a big smile on his face. Dave was sitting on the couch reading the latest Rolling Stone Magazine. Jon was smiling at him when he joined him at the soundboard. He watched in silence as Richie sat down in the chair acting like a giddy child. He then looked up at Jon and his grin got bigger.

“Whattcha got?” He asked happily.

Jon laughed. He opened his mouth to say something but thought better of it and closed it. He pushed play and let Richie hear the new lyrics he added to the song they were working on.

_______________________________________________

January 4th, 1988

“So let me get this straight. You had an affair with Richie last summer?” Christy asked as she and Ashley were eating lunch.

Ashley nodded her head, “I fell in love with him. No one knew about it, we hid it from everyone because I was seventeen.”

Christy shook her head in amazement. “How did it happen? I mean, you were still a virgin then right?”

Ashley blushed taking a sip of her water she shifted in her seat. “Yes I was. He was very persuasive then,” she laughed then added in a knowing tone, “much like he is now.” She looked directly at Christy.“I was so naive then though. I didn’t know anything about anything. I am surprised we got away with it.”

“Doc had no clue what you two were doing?”

Ashley shook her head, “Nope. Get this…Richie even took me to Mexico and he didn’t say anything.”

“Oh my god! Your dad must really be dumb,” Christy laughed loudly.

“No, Richie’s just that smooth,” Ashley said.

“So what happened when you saw him again?” Christy pressed on.

Ashley smiled and shook her head. “The same thing. I felt the same feeling that I had with him before. I went to Jon’s Christmas party and we hung out and stuff and it seemed that we were going to be friends. Then on my birthday I get flowers and he calls me to tell me I’m coming to his party to celebrate my birthday.”

Christy’s lips curved. “So, you went on to his party. Sounds like to me you wanted this just as much as he did.”

“Yeah, I know.” Ashley sighed. “Only now he says he’s sorry and he wants me…all that junk.”

“Ashley, you really need to be careful. Musicians are assholes. And considering your history with him, I just wouldn’t trust him.”

Ashley’s bottom lip formed into a pout. “I know. And I’m still in love with him. That’s what’s driving me insane.”

“So, you slept at his house in his bed and didn’t do anything?”

Ashley nodded, “He drove me home later that day and that’s when it all started. He seems so serious.”

“And you have a date tomorrow night?” Christy asked.

Again, Ashley nodded. “Do you think I’m being rational about it? I mean, people do change. Right?”

Christy shrugged her shoulders. “Well I don’t know Richie, so I can’t give you my opinion about him. Just be careful, that’s all I can tell you.”

Ashley nodded her head. The food was served and the two friends quietly started eating. Christy laughed and shook her head as she looked over at Ashley.

“I can’t believe you actually had an affair with a rock star. Oh my god. I thought I knew everything about you,” She laughed.

Ashley laughed. “Surprise!”

"So am I ever going to get to meet this guy you are so obviously head over heels for?"

Ashley shrugged her shoulders. “You will, sooner or later. We both have agreed to take it slow and I am going to do my best.”

"If you ever feel the need for a chaperone give me a call," Christy laughed.

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

After the girls ate lunch, they went shopping and then came back to Ashley’s apartment where Christy talked her into to going out later that night. They went to their favorite club to let loose and have some fun. The two story night club was their favorite and they always went to the top to look out at the crowd below them. Most of everyone that went there were actors, models and so forth. They knew most of everyone.

Christy turned to Ashley, “Does Richie know where you are tonight?”

Ashley shook her head “He knows we had plans,” She said over the loud music.

“No I mean, does he know where you are?” Christy clarified and when Ashley shook her head no, Christy said, “Well, he’s here.” She pointed to the floor.

Ashley’s gaze followed to where Christy had pointed and sure enough there he was. He was making his way over to the bar. Ashley backed up from the railing she was leaning on.

“What are you doing, hiding from him?” Christy laughed.

Ashley bit the inside of her cheek and nodded nervously. She didn’t know why she was, but she was.

Christy shook her head, “You are really in love with him. I’ve never seen you act this way.”

Ashley stared down to where he was now sitting and Christy pushed her on the arm, “Go down there and talk to him. Good lord, you’ve already had sex with the man!”

Ashley smiled at Christy and looked back down at him. He sat looking around and drinking a beer. She wondered why he was there. She thought this was the perfect opportunity to watch him, just to see what he was up to.
“I’ll go down later. I am going to watch him for awhile,” she told Christy.

“Watch him? Like spy?”

“Sure, if that’s what you want to call it. I am interested in seeing what he’s up to.”

Christy looked down at him and shook her head.” Looks like he’s just sitting at the bar drinking a beer and wishing you were beside him.”

“But, why would he come here of all places?” She wondered out loud.

“Where’s the studio? Maybe it’s close by here somewhere.”

“He said he had the night off and was going to rest,” She watched him as she said this.

Christy put her arm around her, “Let’ go dance.”

Ashley backed away, “No, I don’t want him to see me.”

“Ashley, this is insane!”

Ashley nodded her head. “I know it is but I can’t let him see me right now. Go on…dance,” She said.

Christy once again shook her head and left Ashley standing alone. Ashley stepped back up against the railing and continued to watch Richie. A few minutes later her stomach turned to knots when she saw a dark haired girl approach him. They hugged and Richie kissed her on the cheek and then they sat down at the bar together. Fuming mad at her self for letting him sucker her in once again, she walked away so she didn’t have see it anymore. She wanted to go down and approach him, but instead she thought better of it.

Leaving was the next option that came to mind. After she told Christy they both left and Christy was mad.

“How in the hell do you know she wasn’t his sister!”

Ashley shook her head. “He’s an only child.”

A cab pulled up outside and the two girls got in. Ashley told the cabbie the address of her apartment, just 4 miles down the road.

“I can’t believe you left without saying anything at all to him,” Ashley mumbled. “Just to see the look on his face would have been worth it.”

Ashley folded her arms at her waist as she peered out the window onto the busy passing streets of Manhattan. Close to crying, she closed her eyes and cursed the name Richie Sambora.

No comments:

Post a Comment