Saturday 4 September 2010

Ashley's story chapter 25

Part 25
1/20/88
At 10:49 AM, Ashley was brushing her teeth when the buzzer on the intercom went off. She rolled her eyes and spit out the toothpaste, turned off the faucet and went to answer it. It had been a long morning already and she wasn’t in the mood for any visitors.
“Hey, it's Julie. Did I wake you?”
“No, but I hope you brought coffee because I’m in a bad mood and I'm out,” Ashley answered her.
Julie's anxiety level shot through the roof. With what she had to tell her, it wasn't good that she was in a bad mood and without coffee.
“I'll go get you some coffee. I'll be right back,” Julie said calmly.
“Okay.” Ashley walked away from the door.
She went upstairs and picked up the jeans that were lying on her bed. She was dead tired and had to drag herself out of the bed this morning. She had just flown home from Bermuda the day before and now had a few days off to recuperate for the next shoot.
She hadn't heard from Doc and she didn't dare call him even if he were her manager. Thank god he had hired Julie. It would have been real sticky if he was the one who was foreseeing her career. However, Doc was Julie's boss and she guessed her main reason for the visit today was because she now knew about Richie.
Ashley pulled the sweatshirt over her head and sighed. Yes, she should have told Julie all about their relationship, but she didn't. Why, she didn't know. She feared that Julie would now feel betrayed. Hopefully, she'll understand.
15 minutes later, Julie buzzed again and Ashley let her in the door. When Julie walked in the door, Ashley was towel drying her hair. She took the cup out of Julie's hands with a smile.
“Thank you so much. I was dreading going out just to get some.”
Julie smiled as Ashley walked away, going towards the couch.
Ashley plopped down, sitting the cup on the table. She continued to dry her hair with the towel she had. “So what's up?” She asked Julie.
Julie took a deep breath. “Something's come up.”
Ashley raised her head as she realized the tone in Julie's voice. “What?”
Julie searched for the right words to say at a delicate time such as this. She hated to be the one to tell Ashley, but Doc was forcing her too. She somehow hoped it would go better then she feared.
“Julie?” Ashley said.
She watched Julie's eyes and she knew it was bad news, whatever it is.
“It's Doc isn't it?” Ashley asked.
Julie nodded her head and looked away.
“What's he trying to do now?”
Julie sat down beside her on the couch and looked at Ashley. “He has sent me here to tell you that you are no longer represented by Doc McGhee Entertainment.”
Ashley let out a small sigh of relief. “Well, that's okay because you're my manager anyway.”
Julie shook her head. “And I work for him, Ashley.”
It took a few seconds before it registered. Ashley bit the inside of her cheek and took a deep breath to remain as calm as she could to cover up how she really felt inside.
She smiled at Julie. “I figured this would happen,” she stated.
Julie frowned. “I'm sorry Ashley; I don't know what to say.”
Ashley laughed. “It's okay. There's nothing to say. I suspected he would do this, so I have been trying to find someone else.”
“Oh?” Julie asked surprised. “Well, I really wish that I wasn't the last to know.”
Ashley shook her head, her demeanor showed no signs of how upset she really was. “I'm sorry that I didn't tell you. Things were…are still complicated.”
“So have you had any luck?”
Ashley smiled. “I have.” She cleared her throat and changed the subject. “So what are you going to do?”
Julie shrugged one shoulder. “Doc said not to worry about it; he's going to sign some new artists.”
Ashley leaned towards her and gave her a hug. “I wish you the best.”
Julie hugged her back. Ashley pulled away and smiled. “But take it from me; Doc is callous and hard to work for.”
Julie rolled her eyes. “Ashley…look. You are his daughter and he's just looking out for you.”
Ashley's eyes narrowed. “So, you are taking his side!”
“No, I didn't say that. Doc and I get a long fine,” Julie corrected.
“Yeah, until you do something he doesn't approve of, no matter how much it means to you,” Ashley laughed.
Julie sat quietly. She really thought Ashley would be upset by the news, but apparently she was expecting it, as she said. She didn't seem to be bothered by it at all.
“So you're really okay?”
Ashley nodded. “Yes, don't worry about me. I'll be just fine. I'm used to him not being there.”
Julie lowered her head. She really felt bad for Ashley and was ticked off at Doc for making HER be the one to tell HIS daughter he wanted to cut all ties with her. She got up off the couch and went to the door, Ashley behind her. She turned and tried her best to smile.
“I don't know what to say.”
Ashley smiled brightly. “Just say, see you later.”
Julie was amazed at how strong Ashley appeared. “Okay. See you later.”
As the door closed, the tears were already falling down Ashley's cheeks. She couldn't believe Doc was doing this to her. She sat down on the couch, her head falling in her hands as she cried thinking that her career was for sure over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment