Saturday 4 September 2010

Ashley's story chapter 22

Part 22
Ashley woke up in Richie's arms, finding that they had fallen asleep on the couch. She opened her eyes slightly. The room was full of bright orange rays from the sun coming in through the windows. They never pulled the curtains last night as they sat talking. The radio was still playing and Richie was sound asleep, cradling her in his arms. She snuggled her face against his chest and smiled. Feeling so close to him never felt any better. She ran her hand on his chest beside her head, feeling the rise and fall from his shallow breathing. She titled her head up, the look on his face was so relaxed and peaceful she feared moving and disturbing his sleep. She smiled as last night came to mind. They rediscovered each other by talking about everything and before they realized it the bottle of wine they were drinking was gone. She must have fallen asleep on him. She wondered what time it was and how long they had slept. Last she remembered it was close to 2:30 AM.
She listened closer to the sound of the cars on the street. It sounded pretty busy, so it had to be mid morning. She slowly rose her head up off of Richie's chest, put he pulled her back to him. She giggled softly and kissed his cheek. He moaned and a slow smile spread from one side of his mouth to the other. She tried once more at moving but he had a good hold on her so she gave up.
She laid her head back down and listened to his heart beating, keeping time to her thoughts. She enjoyed their night together and waking up in his arms was the icing on the cake, she had caved! She began to dream of what it would be like to do that every morning of every day for the rest of her life. Gentle curves tilted the corners of her mouth upwards as her imagination ran wild. She couldn't help but giggle softly as she pictured the typical white fenced yard with a couple of kids playing on a swing set.
Richie moved slightly. “What time is it?” he asked.
She cleared her throat. “I'm not sure. It's daylight.”
He moved and she looked up at him as he opened his eyes. He smiled down at her with his heavy eyelids just barely open.
“You've been here all this time?” He asked.
“I've had no choice. You've had a death grip on me,” she said with a twinkle in her eye.
He smiled sleepily. “I'm sorry.”
"I'm not," she answered.
“How long have you been awake?”
“Long enough to enjoy watching you sleep.”
He smiled and rubbed the back of her head. “I enjoyed that myself last night.”
“Did I fall asleep on you?” She asked raising her head off his chest to look at him.
The wonder in her eyes made him smile. “Yeah, I was singing too. I guess you got tired of that. Either that or I was boring you.”
She laughed and nudged him. “That's not true. I don't even remember falling asleep.”
“What was the last thing you remember then?”
"Some song about…about…” she was thinking but she just couldn't remember.
He laughed, “Its okay. I'm not complaining. It's an amazing experience watching you sleep. I've always enjoyed it.”
“Always enjoyed it?” She asked him catching the tone in his voice.
He squeezed his arms around her. “I've watched you sleep a few times.”
She grinned at him and leaned up to kiss him softly. “Would you like some breakfast?” She asked him.
“Not unless you are fixing something for yourself,” He answered.
She moved off of him and stood up stretching as she walked towards the kitchen. Richie laid and watched her as she made a pot of coffee. She walked back into the living room area and headed for the stairs to her bedroom when she looked over at him on the couch. “I'll be back, I'm going to take a shower and get out of these clothes.”
He nodded and she added, “I'm sorry that I don't have anything for you to change into.”
He threw up his hand. “That's okay, don't worry about it. I'll just wash my face in the bathroom down here.”
“There are towels in the closet inside the bathroom,” she called out from the top step.
Richie got up and went to the bathroom and got cleaned up. He found some toothpaste and put some on his finger and rubbed it on his teeth, then rinsed his mouth out with water. When he was done he had to call Jon so he went back out into the living room and picked up the phone. He was already late, and hoped Jon wouldn't mind he was coming in the afternoon.
Jon rolled his eyes. “Don't make this a habit.”
“Relax, I'll be there later this afternoon.”
When Ashley came back downstairs with house shoes on her feet and her hair still wet, Richie was standing at the window looking out with a cup of coffee in his hand.
“Feel better?” He asked turning around to her.
She smiled and opened the cabinet door to find a frying pan. “Yes. Feel free to take a shower if you want.”
“That's okay; I washed up in the bathroom here. I feel fine for now. I'll take a shower when I get home.”
Ashley went to the refrigerator and got everything for making an omelet out and sat it on the counter. Ham, mushrooms, cheese and onions and tomatoes, eggs and milk.
“You really don't have to make me anything to eat,” Richie said watching her cook.
She shook her head. ”And you know I like to cook, so it's no big deal.”
He smiled and turned away from the window to set down at the kitchen table. Ashley fixed herself a cup of coffee and then the phone rang.
She went to the living room to pick up the cordless off of the end table by the couch. “Hello?”
“Oh good you are up,” Doc said.
Ashley smiled at Richie and winked. It's Doc, she mouthed to him. “Yes, I'm up. What are you doing?”
“I am at the airport waiting for my car.”
“Which airport?”
“LaGuardia I just flew in this morning.” Doc answered her.
“This morning!” She sputtered.
Richie lifted his head at the urgency in her voice. She had a surprised look on her face and her eyes were opened wide.
“What's wrong Ashley?” Doc asked.
She leaned back against the counter and closed her eyes. “Nothing. I mean…well...you said next week.” She stuttered as she looked up at Richie who was had gotten up to walk over to her.
“Yeah, well I changed my schedule around. I would have called you but you weren't home last night and I hate answering machines.”
“Oh,” she answered.
“You sound preoccupied with something. Did I catch you at a bad time?” He asked hearing how tense she sounded.
She moved away from Richie and went to the window. “No, I'm fine. I'm just…making breakfast.”
“Well, I am staying at the hotel in Manhattan. I should be all checked in by noon I hope. Given that my damn car gets here. Would you be up to having lunch with me?”
She turned around to Richie. “Lunch?” She asked Doc.
Richie looked at her and mouthed Dinner. Ashley felt her nerves kick up again.
“How about dinner tonight?” She asked as she closed her eyes waiting for his answer.
“Okay, sure. Dinner it is then.”
Ashley bit her lip and tossed her hair over her shoulder with a quick movement of her head.
“I was going to have dinner with Richie tonight, is it okay if he joins us?”
Richie smiled a tight lipped smile, showing off his dimples and widened his eyes. Looks like telling Doc would be happening tonight for sure now.
“Dinner with Richie? You two seeing a lot of one another?” Doc said.
“Well, we hang out sometimes. He's teaching me how to play guitar.” She said quickly as she shrugged her shoulders at Richie.
Richie turned away from her holding his laughter in; he had to move away from her so he went into the living room and laughed.
“The guitar?” Doc laughed.
Ashley shook her head and laughed, “Don't worry; I don't want to be in a band. I am just messing around.”
Richie spun around and laughed louder then before and Ashley had to cover the phone up and she couldn't help but giggle.
“Interesting,” Doc said. “Okay, so where do you want to eat?”
Ashley drew a blank. “Call me back later on and we can decide then. Maybe I could cook.”
“Okay, I'll call you later this afternoon then.”
Ashley hung up the phone and started laughing. “He knows.”
Richie laughed. “You don't know that.”
She shook her head. “No, I am telling you he fuckin knows.”
“Well, is he mad?” Richie laughed.
“I couldn't tell.” She answered as she turned back around to the stove, flipping the omelet and turning the heat down.
“Don't worry about it. The sooner we get this out of the way the better,” he said trying to help ease her mind.
“I just don't know how to tell him. I mean should we be honest and tell him about Mexico?” She asked wide-eyed.
Richie chuckled, “Unless you want me to die, no.” He shrugged and said, “We'll just tell him we have gotten close and we are dating.”
“He's going to flip. I just know it.” She said nervously as she turned back to the stove.
“Ashley, it'll be fine. If you want, I'll tell him.”
She turned around fixing her eyes on his, “We both can tell him. I would never make you do that.”
He smiled. “I'm not as scared as you are. What can he do? Really?”
She didn't even want to think about that. “Fire you?”
He smiled and took her in his arms. “Ashley he's not going to fire me because we are dating. Jon wouldn't allow that to happen.”
“Well, he's going to be mad. I know after the way he already warned me about you and the rest of the guys.”
Richie smirked. “I still can't figure that one out.”
She laughed, “Because you sleep around,” she said pulling away from him.
“Well, things have changed,” he said pulling her arm to make her turn around.
“I don't want anyone else. I want you every night and every day,” he breathed against her cheek just before he kissed it tenderly.
She shyly moved her head to the side and smiled.
“You are so damn cute when you blush,” He said in her ear.
She laughed out loud and pushed him away. “Let me finish this omelet before I burn it.” She said.
Richie moved away from her and fixed himself another cup of coffee. After breakfast they decided to meet at her apartment and tell Doc before they went out to dinner. Richie said he would call Jon and tell him what was going on. He knew Jon would understand once he explained.
______________________________________________
Ashley opened a bottle of wine and poured herself a glass as she got ready in her bathroom. Doc called her earlier and said he made reservations for three at Churrascaria Plataforma, his favorite steakhouse in the city.
Her clothing choice was a basic black dress that was long with quarter sleeves and a round neckline. She wore her hair up in a sexy sweep; some lose waves falling naturally around her face. The tear drop earrings she was wearing, she got from Julie as a birthday gift.
After was ready, she went downstairs to wait for Richie. She didn't have to wait long until the intercom buzzed. It was him and she already felt relaxed just knowing he was there. She smiled at him when she opened the door. He looked wonderful in the black suit with a silk black shirt under the jacket. The shirt was unbuttoned and visible was the gold Slippery emblem on a gold chain.
“Darlin,” he murmured as his lips gently touched hers. He chucked, “Drinking wine already?” He asked her as she shut the door.
She nodded her head. “I needed something to help me relax. He made reservations for Churrascaria Plataforma for dinner.”
Richie nodded. “Ahh, yes his favorite place.”
“Wine?” She offered.
He reached out for her and drew her close. “In a minute,” he said before his kissed her again.
Ashley placed her arms around his neck. The kiss was soft at first then slowly became more intense and longing. “Mmmm,” she mumbled when she pulled away from him. She smiled and gave him a short kiss on the lips before she poured his wine in a glass. “So did you tell Jon?” She asked handing him the glass of wine.
“Yeah, I had to call him. I was supposed to be in the studio this morning, but I had called him from here to tell him I'd be in this afternoon.” He stopped to laugh. “Then I had to call him back to tell him why I wasn't coming in at all.”
“Oh no,” Ashley said.
Richie shook his head. “Jon's fine. He said to give you his best.”
She tilted her head and laughed.
“So what are we telling Doc?” She asked.
Richie swallowed the sip of wine and then cleared his throat. “We have decided to explore our feelings for each other.”
Ashley's eyes grew wide. “OH MY GOD! He's going to flip!”
Richie laughed. “Well, it's the truth.”
“I know I just hope he doesn't quiz us about it,” Ashley said.
“Maybe not,” Richie answered just before the intercom buzzed.
Ashley looked at the watch on her wrist. “Why does he have to be early?” She grumbled.
She walked over to the intercom and pushed the button, “yes?”
“It's Doc.”
She threw up her hand in amazement. “Come on up.”
She turned around and rolled her eyes. “I guarantee that he's here early to quiz me about you and I.”
Richie took a drink from his glass, still he seemed relaxed. “Drink more of your wine and just remain calm.”
She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, counted to ten then took a big gulp of wine. When Doc knocked on the door, she quickly walked over and took a deep breath before she opened it.
“Hello,” Doc said as he gave her a hug. Looking past her, he was surprised to see Richie standing in the living room, drinking wine. “Come on in,” she said stepping away from him.
He walked in and gave Richie a curious smile. “Richie. How have you been?”
Richie smiled. “Just fine. How's California?”
Doc laughed. “A helluva lot warmer then this place I'll tell you that.”
“Would you like something to drink? We have some wine open.” Ashley asked as she joined them.
Doc smirked, “Wine?”
She nodded and gave him a smile. “Yes. Wine.”
He pursed his lips, “Sure. Why not? Seems everyone's drinking it and I don't want to be left out.”
When Ashley turned she gave Richie a look of helplessness. He winked at her quickly as she walked past him into the kitchen to get a glass.
“So…” Doc said folding his hands as he sat down on the couch. “How are the demos coming along Richie?”
Richie sat down in the chair opposite the couch. “We are done and going to Vancouver next week to start recording.”
Doc smiled. “Ahh… Vancouver. Debauchery again I suppose?”
Richie smiled casually but didn't answer.
Ashley joined them and poured Doc a glass of wine then handed it to him. He smiled as he took it from her. “And I hear you are doing well.”
She smiled and stepped back away from the couch. “I'm taking a break then I'll start up again next week.”
“So tell me about this guitar playing, Ashley,” Doc asked as he peered up at her.
She laughed apprehensively and tilted her head trying not to look as nervous as she was. “Well….”
“Actually, Doc she's just started,” Richie said.
Doc looked over at Richie. “Oh, I see.”
The room became awkwardly quiet.
“So, what else is new?” Doc asked taking another drink from his glass.
Ashley looked at Richie briefly and then back to Doc. “Well, since you asked. There is something I want to tell you.”
Doc watched her expression. Waiting for her reply he glanced at Richie. Something told him, somehow Richie was involved. She seemed nervous. No, it couldn't be…
Richie got out of the chair and walked over beside Ashley. Doc's expression went blank.
“Ashley and I have started dating,” Richie said to him.
Ashley felt her body become completely numb as she watched Doc, waiting for his reaction. The only thing she could feel was Richie's arm around her waist.
“You and Richie are dating?” Doc asked Ashley sharply.
She nodded her head and cleared her throat. She felt Richie's arm getting tighter around her back and it helped her from shaking so much.
“When did this come about?” Doc asked glaring up at both of them.
“Last week,” Richie answered.
Doc put his glass down and then glared up at both of them. “Just what the fuck do you think you are doing Richie?”
“It's not all Richie, Doc,” Ashley pointed out.
“You're too young to know what's going on Ashley, so yes it is Richie's fault!” Doc bellowed.
“I am old enough to make my own decisions,” Ashley snapped back. She took a deep breath to calm down. “It's not like we are getting married, we are just dating.”
Doc got up from the couch still glaring at them. “Ashley you don't realize what you are getting yourself into. I knew something like this was going to happen the way you two spent so much time together. What the fuck really happened in Mexico!”
“Doc would you just calm down so we can talk about this rationally,” Richie said.
“Fine,” Doc said in a lower tone. “What the fuck happened in Mexico?”
“We aren't talking about the past; we are talking about the present and the future,” Ashley said.
Present maybe, but there is no future with him,” Doc said as he ignored the fact that Richie was there.
“I can understand why you think that, but I promise you I'm not going to hurt her,” Richie insisted.
“Doc, you are over reacting.” Ashley said just short of tears as he stomped towards the door.
“Just tell me how I am over reacting Ashley? You are Eighteen and he's…he's twenty eight. He's in a rock and roll band and I know about his reputation and BELIEVE me, he's not a saint. Someone like you has no business getting involved with him.”
“Please try to understand. You know don't how happy he makes me,” Ashley tried once more.
Doc opened the door and looked at them both. “I don't want to know how happy he makes you.” He slammed the door closed behind him.
Ashley shook her head and turned around. Richie was right there taking her in his arms. “He'll come around sooner or later. He just needs to time to think about it all.”
Ashley rested her head against his chest and wrapped her arms around his waist. “Guess we won't be having dinner now,” she laughed.
It didn't bother her the way Doc acted towards them, she already knew that it'd be that way.
Richie pulled away from her and held her face in his hands. “Let's go out to dinner.”
She laughed at him.
“I'm serious. We both are dressed up with no place to go now. Fuck Doc, let's go out to dinner.”
Ashley laughed wildly. “I like how you think.”
He took her by the hand and they walked to her door where he helped her with her long leather jacket. After kissing her on the cheek he opened the door and they went out to dinner together.

No comments:

Post a Comment